Rodrigo’s practice covers domestic and cross-border investments and finance transactions together with leveraged lending for real estate companies, including FIBRAs (REITS) and CKDs. An experienced real estate developer and constructor himself, he provides legal advice on all aspects and stages of the real estate business: from the raising of capital and evaluation of projects (including legal due diligence and negotiation of investor agreements) up to the construction, development, promotion and disposition of real properties for the warehouse / manufacturing, commercial / retail, hotel/ hospitality, office and housing industries. In addition to M&A and Capital Markets matters, Rodrigo handles financings involving all sorts of assets and infrastructure project finance, including asset-backed loans and securitizations, first and second priority financings (i.e. mezzanine), construction financings, mortgage loans and guaranty trusts.
With nearly two decades of experience, Rodrigo started his professional practice in 2002 in Corporate Law with Galicia Abogados. In 2007 he worked with Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez participating in financings, mergers and acquisitions, real estate trusts and due diligence processes. From 2010 to 2011, he joined the Investments and Asset Acquisition Area of Aguirre Newman, participating in the establishment of the international firm’s branches in the United States and Mexico, working at the Madrid, Miami and Mexico City offices. In 2011 he joined the real estate trust MIRA Companies, as Legal Director, where he oversaw several mixed-use projects located in various cities throughout Mexico. In 2012 Rodrigo started his own real estate development company, DLR Urban Property, with which he has developed more than five residential buildings and commercial properties in Mexico City and in the State of Morelos.
Some of the companies with which Rodrigo has worked on significant transactions are the following:
- Renowable Resources Group, in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in a rural investment project named “Grupo Paisano” for an amount of $400 million pesos.
- Prodemex (Infraex), in connection with the acquisition of an infrastructure Public Private Partnership (PPP) in the State of Durango with a value of $1,500 million pesos.
- Kookmin Bank and Development Bank of Korea, in the structuring of several facility loan agreements for an amount of $150 million dollars for Hyundai Mobis Mexico and GC Caltex México.
- Mira Companies, in the creation of Mix Use Projects: Nuevo Sur (Monterrey, N.L.); Todos Santos “Second Homes” (Todos Santos, Baja California Sur); and Puerto Cancún (Cancún, Quintana Roo). *
- Walton Street Capital, in connection with the due diligence, purchase and disposal of several real estate assets located in Quintana Roo, Baja California and in Riviera Nayarit. *
- AMB Property Corporation, in connection with the acquisition of the Mexican housing developer company G.Acción, S.A. de C.V. *
- Credit Suisse Capital Markets, in the due diligence and structuring of several Initial Public Offering (IPOs) companies at the Mexican Stock Exchange.*
- Aguirre Newman, in several consultations and agreements for the development, promotion, acquisition and brokerage of real properties in Spain and Mexico. *
- High net worth families and individuals in the acquisition, disposition, and management of real properties, both for investment and for estate planning purposes.
*Rodrigo participated in these transactions before joining Ibarra, del Paso y Gallego, S.C.
TEACHING AND PUBLICATIONS
Rodrigo has been an organizer, panelist and speaker in several real estate /financial / investment forums in Mexico. Rodrigo has published several specialized articles on legal real estate and investment subjects.
Rodrigo is a Law graduate in Mexico since 2004 from the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (“Tec de Monterrey”) and obtained an LL.M. in International Legal Studies from Georgetown University Law Center (Washington, D.C.) in 2007 and a Master in Real Estate Business at the Instituto de Empresa (“IE”, Madrid, Spain) in 2010.
In 2020, Rodrigo became a member of the first generation of Harvard Law School’s Executive Education “Smart Collaboration” Master Class, lectured by Heidi K. Gardner.
Rodrigo is a Spanish native speaker and is fluent in English.