Juan is a Partner and Chair of the Intellectual Property (IP) practice of Ibarra, del Paso y Gallego, S.C., advising on the strategic planning, economic and intangible interests (brands and others) portfolio analysis and counselling on complex IP matters. As also a member of the Dispute Resolution practice of the Firm, he handles and prosecutes all kinds of matters involving trademarks, patents, copyrights, domain names and related judicial and administrative litigation with administrative, civil and criminal courts.
He also Co-Chairs the Life Sciences practice of the Firm overseeing important IP aspects for the pharmaceutical, chemical, technological and food and beverage industries. Juan permanently interacts with the Corporate, M&A and Transactional areas of the Firm in the protection, assessment and negotiation of IP components in transfers or dispositions of IP rights, as well as with our Civil, Commercial and Labor litigation practices in the preparation and enforcement of sophisticated non-compete and non-disclosure agreements. Juan is a Mediator for Intellectual Property Disputes before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Before joining the Firm, Juan was a partner at Insurance and Complex Litigation law boutique Ocampo 1890, S.C. (2015-2019) as well as at Cervantes Sainz (2005-2011), where he led the IP practice, respectively. His more than twenty-five years of trajectory in Intellectual Property began at the largest and most prominent IP boutiques in Mexico, such as Arochi & Lindner (2002-2005), Clarke Modet (1999-2002) and Olivares & Cia (1997-1998).
Some of the companies that Juan has recently represented in relevant matters and transactions are the following:
- Discovery Communications, for handling the trademark portfolio in Mexico including clearance search projects, new applications, renewals, use statements maintenance and administrative litigation before the IMPI, Specialized IP and Circuit Courts.
- World Trade Centers Association, in representing their interests in several trademark related litigations with similar spurious marks and former licensees for the Mexico territory.
- Qualcomm Incorporated, for assisting in the searching, filing, prosecution and maintenance of their local trademark portfolio, as well as technology matters for their leading microchip Snapdragon direct business and 5G platforms for mobile communications.
- Choice Hotels, in searching and filing the renovated trademark logos for their hotel line and venues in Mexico, as well as licensing contracts and advertisement laws and regulations for their operation.
- Nokia, in participating through the settlement with Nextel while operating in partnership as Nokia Siemens Networks, delivering several agreements related to the master operations, outsourcing and local subsidiary agreements.
Teaching and Publications
With over two decades of teaching experience at the graduate and post-graduate levels in prestigious universities in Mexico, Juan is a renowned Professor of Intellectual Property and Industrial Property through his passage at the Universidad Anáhuac Law School (Mexico City), Universidad Anáhuac de Xalapa MBA Program (Xalapa, Mexico) and the Centro de Estudios Profesionales Fray Bartolomé de las Casas MBA Program (Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas).
Currently, Juan is a professor at the Master in Intellectual Property program of the Universidad Panamericana (UP) Law School at the Mexico City and Aguascalientes campuses, as well as with the iLab Business Hub in Xalapa, Veracruz.
Juan obtained his Law degree (JD/LL.B. equivalent) from Universidad Anáhuac (Mexico City) in 1998. He also obtained a Master’s degree in Intellectual Property at the University of Alicante (Spain) in 1999.
In 2000 he obtained a specialization post graduate degree in Intellectual Property from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de Mexico (ITAM).
In 2020, Juan Manuel became a member of the first generation of Harvard Law School’s Executive Education “Smart Collaboration” Master Class, lectured by Heidi K. Gardner.
Juan is a Spanish native speaker and is fluent in English.