Carlos is admitted to practice law in Mexico and in the U.S. in the States of New York and California. He has more than twenty years of experience advising foreign and domestic investors doing business in Mexico, specializing on Real Estate, tourism and hospitality, and M&A transactions, actively representing several companies in the acquisition, leasing, and development of real estate properties for industrial, residential, commercial, lodging (restaurants, hotels, and services) and infrastructure projects.
Before founding the Firm, Carlos worked in Jones Day Mexico (2009-2011), Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez (2002-2009) and Greenberg Traurig New York (2004-2005).
Some of the companies that Carlos has represented in relevant transactions are the following:
- ATCO Gas, in the delivery of several hydrocarbons’ easement agreements, as well as on the obtainment of the first legal easements and judicial validations of the right of way in Mexico.
- Trax Retail, in the establishment of its Mexican subsidiary and operations in Mexico.
- Urban Land Institute, Mexico District Council, as Treasurer and on different operational aspects for the organization’s mission-achievement in Mexico.
- Walmart, in the Real Estate legal audit for expansion projects, long-term leases and acquisitions in different parts of Mexico.
- Wework, in different Real Estate, regulatory, land use and zoning consultations for its operations in Mexico.
- Several financial institutions, both private and public, domestic and international, in real estate – secured financings as well as in the disposition of real estate distressed assets.
- World-leading international chains in the development and marketing of timeshare, both with their first projects in Mexico as well as with the establishment of their operations centers for Latin America from Mexico and various regulatory matters.
TEACHING, PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Carlos has been an organizer, panelist and speaker in several real estate /foreign investment in Mexico specialized fora, both in the US and in Mexico, including the US-Mexico Bar Association, ITAM, Stewart Title International’s STAR Conference, the US-Mexico Law Institute, ATLAS Information Group, the US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce and Greenberg Traurig, LLP and Inmobiliare Magazine.
Since 2007 Carlos has been a professor of “Legal Structures for National and Foreign Investments on Real Estate” and “Juridical Forms for the Financing and Investment on Real Estate Projects in Mexico” at the post-graduate degree diploma in Real Estate and Tourism Law among, other postgraduate courses and programs with the ITAM, Universidad Anáhuac and the Urban Land Institute.
From 2002 through 2004 he also was a professor of Comparative Law and Common Law at the School of Law of the Universidad Anáhuac del Sur.
Carlos has published several specialized articles on legal real estate and investment subjects with American and British editorials. Likewise, he is a compiler, editorial coordinator and co-author of the book Real Estate Law: Select Topics and Sector Perspectives, by Editorial Porrúa and ITAM.
Carlos has been acknowledged by the British editorials Legal500 and Chambers & Partners as a specialist attorney recognized in the real estate sector in Mexico.
Carlos completed his LL.M. studies at Georgetown University Law Center as a Fulbright Scholar.
ASSOCIATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
U.S.-Mexico Chamber of Commerce, Northeast Chapter.
Urban Land Institute (ULI), Mexico District Council. Vice Chairman of the Legislative Committee (2010 – 2012); Chairman of the Real Estate Law Committee (2016 – 2018); Treasurer (2018 – 2021).
Law Rocks. Mexico Co-Chair.
Bar of the State of New York.
State Bar of California.
Carlos obtained his Law degree (JD/LL.B. equivalent) from Universidad Anáhuac del Sur (Mexico City) in 1998 and obtained an LL.M. in International Legal Studies from Georgetown University Law Center (Washington, D.C.) in 2002 as a Fulbright Scholar.
In 2000 he obtained a post-graduate degree diploma (diplomado) in Legal Aspects of International Trade from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), and in 1999 he also obtained a Diploma in Business Law from the Universidad Iberoamericana.
Carlos is a Spanish native speaker and is fluent in English.