Juan Miguel has over eighteen years of professional trajectory representing different companies from the public and private sectors. His experience in more than 2,500 adversarial proceedings includes conflicts of civil and commercial nature, different types of contracts, shareholder disputes (minorities and Joint Ventures) and restructures, bankruptcy and insolvency (whether with real estate, personal or intangible assets and liabilities, among others) in the contexts of investments, financings, as well as for entrepreneurial and estate matters.
Notwithstanding his vast experience in courts, one of the added values that Juan Miguel offers to the clients of the Firm lies on his business – orientation, for which he constantly participates in transactional matters of the Firm supporting the Corporate, Finance and Real Estate Practices in the detection and prevention of all types of legal contingencies. Likewise, Juan Miguel offers integral solutions together with Ibarra, del Paso y Gallego, S.C.’s Labor, Tax, Intellectual Property, Energy and Regulatory Practices.
Before joining the Firm in 2015, Juan Miguel founded Corporate, Tax and Litigation law boutique Portillo and de la Cruz, SC (2012 – 2015). He also worked at López Velarde, Heftye y Soria (2007 – 2008, currently Dentons López-Velarde) and De Haro, Cervantes y Rosas Torres, S.C. (2001 – 2007). He was a Legal Manager at Exportadora de Sal, S.A. de C.V., a federal state company with foreign investment and participation (Mitsubishi Corporation). Juan Miguel’s representations in adversarial matters includes international, pharmaceutical, chemical and energy international companies as well as federal state-companies and governmental agencies.
Some of the companies that Juan Miguel has represented in relevant transactions are the following:
- CG Power and Industrial Solutions Limited, providing legal advice and representation in several judicial procedures and in a preeminent important national bankruptcy procedure.
- ATCO Pipelines, filing and representing before federal agencies and the judiciary in several validation processes of easement contracts executed with the landowners in order to obtain the rights of way for the construction and operation of a natural gas pipeline, pioneering in the establishment of important legal precedents on the subject by obtaining the first validation of easements and legal easements ever since the 2013 Energy Reform.
- FOVISSSTE, representation of the governmental entity for more than eight years in different lawsuits in connection with the credit contracts executed with the governmental employees (borrowers) for real estate acquisitions.
- IGS, in connection with several real estate disputes across the country and advising the company in connection with land leases.
- GNK LOGÍSTICA, providing legal advice and representing the company in several lawsuits filed against governmental entities in order to recover the amounts agreed for transportation and logistics services duly provided.
- DuPont, representation of the company in strict liability and moral damages procedures.
- Siemens, advising and representing the company in several public tender processes for the acquisition of medical equipment for hospitals.
- Corteva Agriscience, advising and participating actively in the recovery of millions of pesos derived from loans granted in agricultural commodities to producers throughout the country, implementing strategies that have improved the efficiency in the granting of loans, as well as in the recovery of debts.
- High net worth families and individuals in the acquisition, disposition, and management of real properties, both for investment and for estate planning purposes.
Juan Miguel studied law at the Escuela Libre de Derecho and at the Universidad Pontificia (both in Mexico City).
In 2017 he earned a post-graduate degree diploma in Civil and Commercial Litigation from Universidad Panamericana in Mexico City.
In 2020, Juan Miguel became a member of the first generation of Harvard Law School’s Executive Education “Smart Collaboration” Master Class, lectured by Heidi K. Gardner.
Juan Miguel has been an Adjunct Professor on Real Estate Litigation Topics with the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) and the Urban Land Institute.
He frequently publishes notes on evolvements on procedural matters. www.ibarrapg.com/en/blog-2/]
Juan Miguel is a member of the International Bar Association (IBA) and the United States – Mexico Chamber of Commerce, Northeast Chapter.