Adrián is admitted to practice law in Mexico since 2004. For over sixteen years he has represented international and domestic companies from a wide range of sectors (generally comprising industrial and commercial, such as pharmaceutical, chemical, agrochemical, food and beverage, metallurgic, infrastructure, hospitality and real estate, among others) on environmental matters, including general transactional and day to day advice, permitting and dispute resolution support on environmental regulations at the federal, state and municipal levels on environmental impact, natural protected areas, ecological ordainment, forestry land use, water, waste, contaminated sites, air and noise emissions, among others. As also a member of the Transactional Real Estate Practice of the Firm, his experience additionally comprises legal due diligence processes and negotiation of liabilities in the transfer (acquisition, disposal or affectation for development) of large real estate portfolios.
He also Co-Chairs the Life Sciences practice of the Firm, where he provides legal advice to all regulated industries and a wide range of companies and Non-for-Profit Organizations under a health stance in Mexico, including Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology, Medical Devices, Healthcare, Chemicals, Agrochemicals, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), Food and Beverage, Personal Care, Tobacco, Cosmetics and the incipiently regulated Cannabis industry. Aside from his general legal regulatory and sanitary advice, he actively participates in matters entailing permitting with the Ministry of Health (mainly through the Federal Commission for the Protection Against Sanitary Risks or COFEPRIS) and the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (including several internal or deconcentrated entities) and complex entanglements of underlying legal requirements, both in a transactional context (mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, corporate reorganizations and strategic projects) as well as in the development of new lines of businesses.
Additionally, as an experienced litigator in administrative and regulatory matters at the federal and local levels, he has successfully represented clients in the defense and enforcement of important interests associated with key authorizations for the operation and commercialization of different businesses in Environmental and Life Sciences matters.
Before founding the Firm, Adrián worked in Barrera, Siqueiros y Torres Landa -Currently Hogan Lovells Mexico- (2009-2011), Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez (2007-2009) and Burguete, Célis y Asociados (2004-2005).
Some of the companies that Adrián has represented in relevant matters and transactions are the following:
- Akazia Capital Partners, in environmental and regulatory legal due diligence and related advice in the context of the acquisition of a maquila complex comprising seven industrial facilities in Matamoros, Tamaulipas.
- Bio-Pellet, in general Life Sciences and regulatory advice on its operations and product porfolio in Mexico.
- British American Tobacco, in general regulatory and sanitary advice on its operations and product portfolio in Mexico.
- Encontrack, in the review, diagnosis and abidance of protection of personal data legislation.
- Grupo Marhnos, in the negotiation of environmental clauses of relevant transactional documents pertaining to a JV entered into with Prudential Real Estate Investments Latin America.
- Instituto para la Protección al Ahorro Bancario (Institute for the Protection of Banking Savings “IPAB”), in the legal environmental due diligence of real estate distressed assets for their disposition.
- National Marrow Donor Program / Be the Match, in general legal, regulatory and Life Sciences advice on the set up and ongoing operations of its Non-for-Profit registry of donors and patients of bone marrow for transplantation purposes in Mexico.
- Siemens Healthineers, in general regulatory and government procurement advice, including administrative litigation.
- Pfizer, in general advice on environmental, water, regulatory and Life Sciences matters, including administrative litigation.
- Unilever, in general advice on environmental, water, regulatory and Data Privacy matters.
- A global leading chemical company, in environmental, Life Sciences and regulatory advice, mostly in the context of strategic projects and corporate reorganizations with effects and/or implemented in Mexico.
Adrián obtained his Law degree (JD/LL.B equivalent) from Universidad Iberoamericana (Mexico City) in 2004. As part of his bachelor studies, he studied a year abroad in 2002 in a Student Exchange Program at Universitat de València (Spain). In 2006, he obtained a Master’s Degree in Environmental Policy and Management from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in 2006.
He obtained a post-graduate degree diploma in Environmental Law and Natural Resources from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) in 2005 and a post-graduate degree diploma in Real Estate and Tourism Law from the same institution in 2009.
In 2014, Adrián obtained an additional post-graduate degree diploma in Sanitary Regulation of the Pharmaceutical Industry from the Institute of Education and Advisory on Pharmaceutical and Pharmacological Sciences (INEDUFARM).
He completed the D-1 Top Management Program from IPADE Business School in 2016.
As part of his recent international and US training, in 2018 Adrián completed the Leading Professional Service Firms Program at Harvard Business School and in 2019 he obtained an LL.M. in Business Law from Northwestern University, Pritzker School of Law.
Adrián is a Spanish native speaker and is fluent in English and versant in Portuguese.
Adrián is an active panelist in national and international fora on his areas of expertise. In addition, he is a Professor of Environmental Law of the Real Estate Post-Graduate Degrees at ITAM and Anáhuac Universities, as well as with the Urban Land Institute.
He has co-authored various international publications on his areas of expertise. One of the most recent is the following: https://latinlawyer.com/jurisdiction/1003256/mexico
First generation member of the Colegio de Abogados por el Ambiente.
United States – Mexico Chamber of Commerce, Northeast Chapter.
Law Rocks. Mexico Co-Chair.